Monday, October 08, 2007

Anthem

Every once in a while T asks if I can learn him a Dutch song. And of course I am happy to do so, not only do I think it is good for him to know somethings from my roots, but also it is soooooooo cute to hear him speak Dutch with a heavy American accent. He interprets some words wrong, and that is something we all do every once in a while. I can still hear my little sister singing the "Heidi" song. It was totally funny and I still have to giggle if I think of it. She made poor Heidi the little "prupser" of the "welle" instead of singing "kleines madched of die berge". But my son tops it all with the Dutch national anthem that I tried to learn him tonight.

Instead of singing "Wilhelmus van Nassau, ben ik van Duitschen bloed" (Wilhelmus van Nassau am I from german blood) he puts poor Wilhelmus underneath the shower. The next line "Mijn vaderlands getrouwe blijf ik tot in den dood" ( I will be faithfull to my fatherland until my death)
He sings "mijn vader maakt gebouwen" ( My dad makes buildings).
We also tried some "sinterklaas" songs before. "Zie de maan schijnt door de bomen" became Zie de maan schijt door de bomen". Translated it went from "see the moon shine through the branches." into "See the moon fart through branches".

Now I have to think of a different song to teach him, one that can have more decent mistakes in it. I was thinking "Ik zag twee beren broodjes smeren" ( I saw to bears make a sandwich).

2 comments:

Meg said...

"See the moon fart through branches".... I love it! Makes for a rather interesting visual!
-Meg

Karin said...

WOW, Love to hear you sing the song!! Ik ken het gevoel als je kind Hollands praat met een heavy accent!! Wow, we could be sisters!!