Wednesday, February 18, 2009

History lesson

While looking through our bookcase looking for one of my books about history (we have quite a few) there was this one. I took it downstairs and started reading. It tells the Dutch History from the ice age on. My favorite story, Hugo de Groot, he escaped from a life long imprisonment in a bookcase with the help of his wife and a maid.
What reminds me somewhere in our bookcase we have "het slot Loevenstein" by Oltmans, I have to read them again one of these days. The first time I read them, I must have been around 17 or 18 years old.
And then while knitting a quick pair of hand warmers for our son (special request, "can they be done today?? MOM??) There it was the title of a song I learned as a kid "In naam van Oranje doe open de poort".
The story about the Watergeuzen. I spend half the afternoon singing this, in my head mind you, I am not allowed to sing out loud!!! (Hey, there's a way to chase those Spanish people from 1572 away!!)

And while waiting for my coffee-date with a friend this morning (which never happened) I practiced some calligraphy, long time ago since that happened. Have to get some new ink, mine is almost out.



1 comment:

CoasterMeg said...

You are so freakin' TALENTED! You are my hero (and I'm glad to call you 'friend').
-M